We hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year – we certainly did with lots of uplifting carol singing, mulled wine, mince pies, communal get togethers and lovely guests. The weather was fairly amenable too, with lots of fine days to enjoy the great outdoors, it seems a long time ago now but there is still plenty going on to enjoy and experience in this area.
If you like browsing for bargains and helping both the environment by recycling and the good causes that hold them we can recommend jumble sales and boot fairs which have replaced the seasonal Christmas fairs. There is a lovely jumble sale in near-by Hastingleigh on January 26th at 2pm. We advise looking in the kent local papers to see What’s On, or for free by being a member of your local library and going online.
It is a busy year in Kent this year, for golf fans there is the Open Golf being held at the Royal St. George's Golf Course in Sandwich from the 12th to the 19th July.
For those interested in history this year is the 850th anniversary of the murder of Thomas Becket, with lots of connected events being held throughout the year, full details and dates are on https://becket2020.com/events
Fancy a day at the races? – Kent Point to Point season starts at Charing on February 17th. British Eventing Horse trials are at Chilham Castle twice this year, on the 18th and 19th April and the 25th and 26th July.
Love cartoons? – Anifest returns to Canterbury from the 28th February until the 1st March, hosted by Canterbury Christ Church University https://www.canterburyanifest.com/
and Bayfest with the Herne Bay cartoon festival in August. https://hernebayfestival.com/
Events at the Kent Event Centre at Detling, near Maidstone include
Build It Live on the 8th and 9th February; FFX Tool show on the 28th February to the 1st March; The Holiday and Leisure Show on the 15th March; The Heritage Transport Show on the 5th April; The Kent Garden Show on the 23rd to the 25th May; Tiny Tots Big Weekend on the 6th and 7th June; The Kent County Show on the 10th to the 12th July; there are also various antiques and collectors fairs throughout the year. Detling is an easy half hour drive from us.
Further details and times of all the events can be found at https://www.kenteventcentre.co.uk/whats-on
The Historic Dockyard, Chatham has many events on this year, with Mission Explore, on during February half term from the 15th to the 23rd. Tattoo: British Tattoo Art Revealed on from the 21st March until the 14th June. Festival of Steam and Transport on the 12th and 13th April. “Call The Midwife” location Tours from the 4thMatch until the 31st October. All events, dates and times are on their website. https://thedockyard.co.uk/
Brogdale Collections, the home of the National Fruit Collection has festivals and fairs throughout the year, including the Hanami Festival on the 18th and 19th April, (Hanami is the Japanese Festival dedicated to cherry blossom), the Cider Festival on the 29th and 30th August and the National Apple Festival on the 17th and 18thOctober. https://www.brogdalecollections.org/festivals-events
Other events being held in Kent this year include
- Rochester Sweeps Festival, Rochester on the 2nd and 3rd May https://www.medway.gov.uk/sweepsfestival
- Faversham Transport Weekend takes place in the centre of Faversham on the 16th and 17th May. https://www.favershamfestivaloftransport.org/
- The World Custard Pie Championships, Coxheath, Maidstone on the 30th May.https://theworldcustardpiechampionship.co.uk/
- The Canterbury Wine Festival, Westgate Hall, Canterbury on the 27th June.
- The Battle Of Britain Air Show at Headcorn Aerodrome on the 27th and 28th June. https://www.headcornevents.co.uk/Events/Battle+of+Britain+Air+Show
- Create Festival, Victoria Park, Ashford on the 18th July. https://www.createfestival.co.uk/
- Little Mix, Spitfire Ground, Canterbury on the 19th July. https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/event/little-mix-summer-tour-2020
- Broadstairs Folk Week on the 7th until the 14th August. https://broadstairsfolkweek.org.uk/
- Biddenden Tractorfest, Woolpack Corner, Biddenden on the 15th and 16th August. https://www.tractorfest.co.uk/
- Faversham Hop Festival on the 5th and 6th September. https://www.visitkent.co.uk/events/faversham-hop-festival-39464/
- Tenterden Folk Festival from the 1st to the 4th October. http://www.tenterdenfolkfestival.org.uk/
- Canterbury Festival at various locations all over Canterbury from the 17th until 31st October. https://canterburyfestival.co.uk/